skip to main content

DC6 - Fall ADM Official

Files Required for Submission

File name

Template Files

Download a zip of template submission files

Reporting Instructions

Purpose for completing VT SLDS VR DC#06 Fall_ADM_Official Collection

The VR DC#06 replaces the legacy Fall Update of the Student Census, it is a collection of instances of student enrollment in your school. In this collection, we ask for more information for each student to allow us to calculate a number of education indications. For instance, this collection is used to create the October 1 headcount of enrolled students, the Average Daily Membership (ADM) a count of students used in the state funding formula, per pupil spending, and other calculations. In addition, the demographic information is used to support analysis of student assessments and school accountability.

Completing the 06_0_STUDENT IDENTITY dataset

This dataset includes all students enrolled or receiving services (see below for CTE guidance) in all schools within your SU/SD. The state assigned student ID (PERMNUMBER) is a required field, if you do not have a permnumber for a student please submit DC# 01: Student_Match file to edfusion.

Students to include in your submission

  • All students who were enrolled in your school at any time during the current and previous school year.
  • CTE/Technical center students who arrive at your school in the morning and are transported to and from the technical center at the expense of your district.
  • Attendees of an alternative program.
  • Anyone who is on your register, and is currently being evaluated for placement in an independent school or tutorial program. (the student must be in the evaluation process, and NOT yet enrolled in those other schools.)
  • Any students who are enrolled in your school, and are receiving tutoring from school personnel at home or in the hospital.
  • Any students enrolled in your school and participating in an approved educational experience outside of your school. (e.g., a page in the legislature).
  • Any home-study students who attend academic classes or participate in extra-curricular activities at your school.
  • Students who have chosen to attend your school rather than their regular school through a High School Choice agreement.

Students who are NOT to be included your submission

Please do not include these students ion your censussubmission. Another school will report the students to us.

  • Technical center students that live in your district but are NOT transported by your district (the Technical Center's home high school should be reporting these students).
  • Students living in your district and attending an Independent School.
  • Students enrolled in an independent school taking extracurricular activities at your school.
  • Students who have chosen to attend a different school instead of your school through a High School Choice agreement. (The other school will report the students from your district.)


See file specification


See file specification


See file specification

See file specification


See file specification


See file specification


See file specification

Final Notes

The submission is to be completed by compiling csv files according to the VT SLDS Vertical Reporting specs, and submitted using the edFusion link.

If you have any questions, please contact the AOE SLDS Support Group

Appendix A: Relevant Vermont Statutes

16 V.S.A. § 1075. Legal residence defined; responsibility and payment of education of pupils

(a) For the purpose of this title, except as otherwise set forth herein, the legal residence or residence of a pupil shall be as follows:

(1) in the case of a minor, legal residence is where his or her parents reside, except that:

(A) if the parents live apart, legal residence is where either parent resides, but if a parent with sole custody lives outside the state of Vermont the pupil does not have a legal residence in Vermont;

(B) if the minor is in the custody of a legal guardian appointed by a Vermont court or a court of competent jurisdiction in another state, territory or country, legal residence is where the guardian resides;

(2) in the case of a student who has reached the age of majority, legal residence is where the student resides;

(3) for the purposes of this title, "resident" of the state and of a school district means a natural person who is domiciled in the school district and who, if temporarily absent, demonstrates an intent to maintain a principal dwelling place in the school district indefinitely and to return there, coupled with an act or acts consistent with that intent. The term "temporarily absent" includes those special cases listed in 17 V.S.A. § 2122(a). The term "residence" is synonymous with the term "domicile." A married person may have a domicile independent of the domicile of his or her spouse. If a person removes to another town with the intention of remaining there indefinitely, that person shall be considered to have lost residence in the town in which the person originally resided even though the person intends to return at some future time. A person may have only one residence at a given time.

(b) The Secretary shall determine the legal residence of all state-placed students. In all other cases, the board of school directors of the district in which the pupil is living shall determine the pupil's legal residence. If a pupil is denied enrollment at any stage, the pupil and his or her parent or guardian shall be notified in writing, within 24 hours, of the provisions of this section. If the pupil is not in attendance as a result of a preliminary decision by school officials and a decision from the board of school directors will not be available by the end of the second school day after the request for enrollment is made, the Secretary may issue a temporary order requiring enrollment. Any interested person or taxpayer who is dissatisfied with the decision of the board as to the pupil's legal residence may appeal to the Secretary of Education, who shall determine the pupil's legal residence, and the decision of the Secretary shall be final. Pending appeal under this subsection, the Secretary shall issue a temporary order requiring enrollment.

(c) A state-placed student, other than one placed in a 24-hour residential facility, shall be educated by the school district in which the pupil is living, unless an alternative plan or facility for the education of the pupil is agreed upon by the Secretary of Education. In the case of a dispute as to where a state-placed student is living, the Secretary shall conduct a hearing to determine which school district is responsible for educating the pupil. The Secretary's decision shall be final.

(e) For the purposes of this title, the legal residence or residence of a child of homeless parents is where the child temporarily resides unless the parents and another school district agree that the child's attendance in school in that school district will be in the best interests of the child in that continuity of education will be provided and transportation will not be unduly burdensome to the school district. A "child of homeless parents" means a child whose parents;

(1) lack a fixed, regular and adequate residence; or

(2) have a primary nighttime residence in a supervised publicly or privately operated shelter for temporary accommodations such as public assistance hotels, emergency shelters, battered women's shelters, and transitional housing facilities, or a public or private place not designated for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.

(f) For the purposes of this title, the legal residence of an alien, immigrant or refugee child shall be determined in the same manner as in subsection (e) of this section, unless the child's parents have established a residence in the state.

(h) For the purposes of this title, the legal residence or residence of an independent student is where the independent student resides. "Independent student" as used in this subsection means a child between the ages of 14 and 18 years who by the acts and expressions of the child and his or her parents or legal guardian has demonstrated that he or she is living separate and apart from his or her parents or legal guardian, is independent of the authority of his or her parents or legal guardian, and is not economically dependent upon his or her parents or legal guardian. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "independent student" shall also include "emancipated minor" as that term is defined in section 7151(a) of Title 12.

(i) The commissioner of social and rehabilitation services shall continue to provide social services and financial support in accordance with 16 V.S.A. § 2950 on behalf of individuals under his or her care and custody while in a residential placement, until they reach their nineteenth birthday.

(j) A claim or statement of fact bearing on residency shall be subject to 13 V.S.A. § 3016.

16 V.S.A §11 (28): Definition of State Placed Student

(A) A Vermont pupil who has been placed in a school district other than the district of residence of the pupil's parent, parents, or guardian or in an approved residential facility by a Vermont state agency, or any other agency as defined by the Secretary, or

(B) A Vermont pupil who:

(i) is 18 years of age or older,

(ii) is living in a community residence as a result of placement by a Vermont state agency, a Vermont licensed child placement agency or a designated community mental health agency, and whose residential costs are paid for in whole or in part by one of these agencies, and

(iii) resides in a school district other than the district of the pupil's parent or parents, or

(C) A pregnant or postpartum pupil attending school at an approved education program in a residential facility or outside the school district of residence pursuant to subsection 1073(b) of this title.

Sec. 16. 16 V.S.A. § 4001(1) is amended to read:

(1) "Average daily membership" of a school district, or if needed in order to calculate the appropriate homestead tax rate, of the municipality as defined in 32 V.S.A. § 5401(9), in any year means:

(A) the full‑time equivalent enrollment of pupils, as defined by the state board by rule, who are legal residents of the district or municipality attending a school owned and operated by the district, attending a public school outside the district under an interdistrict agreement, or for whom the district pays tuition to one or more approved independent schools or public schools outside the district during the annual census period. The census period consists of the first 40 days 11th day through the 30th day of the school year in which school is actually in session; and

(B) the full‑time equivalent enrollment in the year between the end of before the last census period and the end of the current census period, of any state‑placed students as defined in subdivision 11(a)(28) of this title. A school district which provides for the education of its students by paying tuition to an approved independent school or public school outside the district shall not count a state‑placed student for whom it is paying tuition for purposes of determining average daily membership. A school district which is receiving the full amount, as defined by the state board by rule, of the student's education costs under subsection 2950(a) of this title, shall not count the student for purposes of determining average daily membership. A state‑placed student who is counted in average daily membership shall be counted as a student for the purposes of determining weighted student count.